To mark the inauguration of the Centre, an opening ceremony was organised together with an affiliated two day seminar to promote exchange among Mainland, overseas and local academics on issues related to corruption.
CACS Opening Ceremony and Seminar
Speeches and papers
- Welcoming Address
by Dr Timothy H M TONG, Commissioner, ICAC, HKSAR PDF file
- Inaugural Speech
by The Honourable WONG Yan-lung, SC, JP, Secretary for Justice, HKSAR PDF file
- "The Rule of Law v The National Interest"
by Lord Martin THOMAS of Gresford, OBE, QC, Member of the House of Lords, United Kingdom PDF file
- "Old Weapons for New Battles - The Role of Stewardship in the Development of the Common Law in its Fight Against Corruption and Self-dealing"
by Professor Barry RIDER, Counsel, Bryan Cave LPP and Professorial Fellow in Development Studies, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom PDF file
- "Financial Crisis, Failed States and Good Governance - The Untold Stories Behind Corruption Perceptions Index"
by Mr LIAO Ran, Senior Programme Coordinator for South Asia and East Asia, Transparency International, Berlin, Germany PDF file
Plenary Session I: Comparison of Anti-Corruption Legislations
- "The US Regulatory Landscape and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act"
by Ms Kathleen M HAMANN, Trial Attorney, Department of Justice, United States of America
- "Bribery Reform in the United Kingdom"
by Professor Jeremy HORDER, Criminal Commissioner, Law Commission, England and Wales, United Kingdom PDF file
- "An Overview of China’s Legal System for Combating Corruption and Upholding Integrity"
by Professor LI Chengyan, School of Government, Peking University, Mainland China PDF file
- "Prevention of Bribery in Hong Kong - Law and Enforcement"
by Mr Ian McWALTERS, SC, Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions, Department of Justice, HKSAR PDF file
- Speech by Mr HUANG Lanfa, Deputy Director, The Liaison Office of the Central People’s Government in the HKSAR PDF file
Commentaries and Open Discussion
- Dr Timothy H M TONG, Commissioner, ICAC, HKSAR
- Professor ZHAO Bingzhi, Dean, College for Criminal Law Science and School of Law, Beijing Normal University, Mainland China
- Lord Martin THOMAS of Gresford, OBE, QC, Member of the House of Lords, United Kingdom
Plenary Session II - Comparison of Anti-Corruption Institutions
- "Anti-Corruption Agencies and their Work in the USA"
by Ms Jane LEY, Deputy Director for International Assistance and Government Initiatives, Office of Government Ethics, United States of America PDF file
- "UK Mechanisms and Strategy for Fighting Corruption"
by Mr Martin POLAINE, Director of Amicus Legal Consultants Ltd, United Kingdom PDF file
- "Recovering the Proceeds of Corruption: International Success Stories?"
by Mr Tim DANIEL, Partner, Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge, United Kingdom PDF file
- "Anti-Corruption Institutions and Organisations in China"
by Dr CHENG Wenhao, Associate Professor of the School of Public Policy and Management, Tsinghua University, Mainland China PDF file
- "Assessment of the Anti-Corruption Work in Mainland China and its Effectiveness"
by Dr WANG Yanzhong, Director-General of Supervision Office, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Mainland China PDF file
- "The Hong Kong Anti-Corruption Model"
by Mr Ryan WONG Sai-chiu, IDS, Director of Investigation/Government Sector, ICAC, HKSAR PDF file
Commentaries and Open Discussion
- Professor KUAN Hsin-chi, Emeritus Professor of Government and Public Administration, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, HKSAR
- Professor MA Huaide, Vice President and Dean, Law School, China University of Political Science and Law, Mainland China
- Professor Ian SCOTT, Adjunct Professor of Department of Public and Social Administration, City University of Hong Kong, HKSAR
- Closing remarks by Dr Timothy H M TONG, Commissioner, ICAC, HKSAR PDF file
Open Lectures (1 April 2009)
- "Criminal Legality in Mainland China’s 30 Years of Reform and Opening-up - Perspective from a Number of Typical Cases" Paper
by Professor ZHAO Bingzhi, Dean, College for Criminal Law Science and School of Law, Beijing Normal University and President, Criminal Law Research Committee, China Law Society, Mainland China PDF file
- "Accountability and Responsibility - Reinforcing the Criminal Law" Paper
by Professor Barry RIDER, Barrister (England & Wales), United Kingdom PDF file
- "Historical Evolvement and Future Reform of the China Communist Party Discipline Inspection Commission"
by Dr GUO Yong, Deputy Director of the Anti-Corruption and Governance Research Center, Tsinghua University, Mainland China PDF file
- "Defense Lines of System on Prevention Corrupted Officials from Fleeing China"
by Professor MAO Zhaohui, Professor, Institute of Public Policy, School of Public Administration, Renmin University of China, Mainland China PDF file
- "Comparison of Crimes of Bribery in Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR and the United States"
by Professor ZHAO Bingzhi, Dean, College of Criminal Law Science and School of Law, Beijing Normal University and Dr LIU Ke, Lecturer, College for Criminal Law Science, Beijing Normal University, Mainland China PDF file
|PDF file requires Acrobat Reader and its Asian Font Pack (Traditional Chinese) for viewing. Please contact [email protected] if you cannot open the PDF file.
||The ICAC is committed to ensuring that its websites conform to the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 Level AA requirements to the maximum extent possible. However, as this webpage contains archive materials that are not frequently used, not all level accessibility features have been incorporated. For enquiry, please email us at [email protected]. We will try our best to provide the information in a format accessible to you.