Q : If I cannot provide full information when lodging a complaint, will I be charged with making a false accusation?

A : No. Inability to provide full information while lodging a complaint does not mean that you are making a false accusation. False accusation implies that a person knowingly makes a false statement or accusation to the ICAC, who then may breach the ICAC Ordinance.

Q : Is the complainant required to testify in court?

A : If the defendant pleads guilty or the court accepts the complainant's written statement as evidence, the complainant is not required to testify in court. But when the defendant denies having committed the offence and the complainant's evidence can help the court establish the truth, the court may require the complainant to testify.

Q : Will the identity of complainant be disclosed during investigation?

A : The identity of complainant will be treated in strict confidence. Only case officers or the designated officers are allowed to gain access to the information on a "need-to-know" basis.

Q : When will the complainant know whether the ICAC would follow up the case?

A : Under normal circumstances, the ICAC will contact the complainant of pursuable report for interview within 48 hours. If the report is not corruption-related, the ICAC will contact the complainant within two working days to obtain consent for referring the report to an appropriate authority. Please click Investigation Procedures to learn more.

Q : Will the ICAC inform the complainant of the investigation outcome?

A : The "Victims' Charter" stipulates that the ICAC will notify the complainant as well as the prescribed persons about the investigation outcome no matter the investigation results in any prosecution or caution, or leads to the submission of investigation information to the Operations Review Committee for consideration of follow-up actions.

Q : Can the complainant mention to other people any details of the complaint he has lodged with the ICAC?

A : No. Any person, including the complainant, who discloses details of investigation or the identity of the subject person to other people without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, shall be guilty of an offence under Section 30 of the Prevention of Bribery Ordinance. For more details, please refer to the Text of the Law.

Q : Will the ICAC refer the complaint to another department without the consent of the complainant?

A : Reports that are not corruption-related and with no allegation of criminal offence will be referred to the appropriate authority with the complainant's consent while reports alleging criminal offences will be referred to the Police or other law enforcement agencies.

Q : Will the ICAC contact the complainant again? Can the complainant contact the responsible investigator of the case directly?

A : If further information is required, the ICAC will contact the complainant. The complainant can also contact the responsible officer of the case directly to enquire about the investigation progress or to provide further information.

Q : Is there any difference in lodging a report in person or by phone or by mail?

A : The ICAC will consider the nature of the report, rather than the manner in which it was made, when deciding whether to take follow-up action. If you make the report in person, you can give a more detailed and clear account of the case to the duty officer and that will improve the chance of the case being followed up or investigated.

Q : Can I lodge a report by email or fax?

A : For security reasons, you must NOT report corruption or discuss any investigation related matters by email, fax or through this website.

Q : Do I need to make a statement personally to the ICAC after lodging a complaint on the phone?

A : Complainants do not need to make a statement personally to the ICAC after lodging a complaint on the phone. However, it is helpful if complainants leave any personal information that could help the follow-up investigation. If necessary, the ICAC will invite the complainant to the ICAC office or a place convenient to him for a statement to be taken by an ICAC officer.

Q : Can another person accompany me when I make a report in person?

A : To keep the identity of the complainant confidential and to prevent leaking details that will affect the subsequent investigation, the complainant should meet the duty officer alone to ensure the content of the report is kept confidential.

Q : Can the complainant request the ICAC to refer the complaint to a specific government department?

A : The ICAC will consider the content and nature of the complaint when deciding whether it should take up the case or refer it to other government departments. The complainant will be informed of the decision.